In 2018, AME celebrates 100 years of offering professional development opportunities for its members.
15th Annual Exploration Field Safety Workshop
Date: Saturday, March 24, 2018
Time: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Venue: Room 5104, Earth Sciences Building, UBC
2207 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC
Are you a student, field assistant or recently graduated geoscientist?
Are you responsible for supervising new, young or seasonal workers in the field?
This workshop is for you.
The AME Environment, Health & Safety Committee presents an annual workshop on field safety. Our goal is to draw attention to safety awareness and strategies, particularly with respect to young employees as well as giving employees the tools and knowledge to assess the Western Canadian work environment.
- Behavioural Safety: The Last Line of Defence?
- Safe Approaches to Traversing in Remote Areas
- Safety in Exploration Camps – Elaine Wolfson, Thompson Nicola Training
- First Aid and What Is Required – interactive session with Elaine Wolfson
- Field Gear and What Is Required – interactive session with Cody Beck, Archer, Cathro & Associates (1981) Ltd.
- Surface Transportation Safety – Cody Beck
- Helicopter Safety – Kim Bilquist, Teck Resources Limited
- Ice Safety and Hypothermia – Jim Douglas, Raven Rescue
- Safety around Bears – Cody Beck
You will leave the workshop:
- Aware of the risks and hazards we encounter in exploration
- Thinking about how your knowledge may save individual lives, lost time and costs resulting from injuries
- Knowing how people can look after themselves and co-workers in the bush environment
- With real-world stories about how to explore safety in the field
- With a Certificate of Completion
UBC EOAS Field School Student – $30.00 (includes GST) – you must register directly with EOAS to receive this rate.
Please contact Alicia Warkentin at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
AME Student Member Price: $60.00 (57.14 plus GST) Register here
AME Individual Member Price: $130.00 (123.81 plus GST) Register here
Non-Member Price: $185.00 (176.19 plus GST) Register here
$15 processing fee for all refunds. No refunds after March 17.
Exploration Safety for Managers and Project Supervisors
Date: Friday, April 6, 2018
Time: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (TBC)
Venue: Vancouver; details TBD
Further details and registration available March 2018.
AME Exploration Safety Workshop at Minerals North
Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2018
Venue: Houston, BC
Click here to register