AME BC Speaker Series
The AME BC Speaker Series luncheons are held three times per year.
AME BC Speaker Series Lunch with Ned Goodman, President and CEO, Dundee Corporation
Date: Friday, May 10, 2013
Time: noon – 1:30pm
Location: Sutton Place Hotel, 845 Burrard Street, Vancouver BC
This event is sold out!
Our third and final
installment of the 2012/2013 Speaker Series will be held on Friday, May
10, 2013 at the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver and will feature Ned
Goodman, President and CEO of Dundee Corporation.
Ned Goodman is President and Chief Executive Officer of Dundee Corporation. He has an established reputation as one of Canada’s most successful investment counselors.
An early interest in science prompted Goodman to obtain a geology degree from McGill University. When geological employment was sparse and he was laid off by Noranda in 1960, business also caught his attention, leading to him achieving an MBA degree from the University of Toronto in 1962. His career path took a financial turn in 1967, when he earned the designation of Chartered Financial Analyst and co-founded Beutel, Goodman & Company Ltd., which became well known for raising funds for junior exploration and development companies.
Along with his partners, Goodman founded the first exploration flow-through partnership, CMP Group, which has raised almost $5 billion since the 1980s to help companies explore and develop mining and petroleum companies.
Goodman played a leadership role in the reemergence of Canada’s gold mining industry in the 1980s, ultimately becoming the largest shareholder and chairman of International Corona, which held interests in world-class gold mines in Ontario’s Hemlo region. He was involved in the creation of Kinross Gold, Repadre (later IAMGOLD) and Dundee Precious Metals, and was an early backer of FNX Mining Company Inc. (later Quadra FNX Mining) and its discovery and development of new nickel deposits in Ontario’s Sudbury camp.
Goodman is the founder of the Goodman School of Business and Chancellor of Brock University and founder of The Goodman School of Mines at Laurentian University. He is founder and benefactor of the Goodman Institute of Investment Management at Concordia University, where he serves as an Adjunct Professor, and was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Laws.
Click here to read Mr. Ned Goodman's Full Biography
Thursday, November 1 - Diane Francis (National Post)
second installment for the 2012/2013 Speaker Series was held on November 1, 2012 at the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver and featured Diane Francis. Diane is well known across
the country for her newspaper columns for the National Post. She also
blogs on the Huffington Post, is a broadcaster and author of nine
best-selling books. She has been honored with many prestigious awards
from associations, publications and universities across the country.
Diane's talk was titled, 'Staying On Course in Uncertain Times.'
Click here to read Diane Francis' Biography.
Click here to view the photo gallery from the event.
Friday, September 21 - Chief Clarence Louie (Osoyoos Indian Band) Our first installment for the 2012/2013 Speaker Series was held on Friday, September 21, 2012 at the Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle and featured Chief Clarence Louie of the Osoyoos Indian Band speaking on successful keys to economic freedom and opportunities.
Click here to read Chief Clarence Louie's Biography.
Click here to view the photo gallery from the event.
AME BC would sincerely like to thank our sponsors of the 2012/2013 Series:
2011/2012 Speaker Series
Our third installment of the series was held on May 10, 2012 and featured Dr. Don Wright (President, BCIT) and Paul Henning of Rio Tinto speaking on challenge of training, recruiting and retaining human resources is one of the key strategic issues facing B.C.’s rapidly growing mineral exploration & development sector.
Our second installment of the 2011/2012 AME BC speaker series event was held on March 22, 2012 at the Hyatt Regency and featured Vancouver-based writer and researcher Vivian Krause, speaking on American Funding of the Environmental Movement in Canada.
Ms. Krause is a Canadian, Vancouver-based writer who has researched the science and the money behind environmental campaigns. Her work has caught the attention of the Prime Minister of Canada and prompted a Senate Inquiry into the Foreign Funding of the Environmental Movement in Canada.
The first installment of the 2011/2012 series was held on November 23, 2011 and featured Ross Beaty, Executive Chairman, Alterra Power Corp. as our guest speaker.
Past Speakers Include:
- Ross Beaty, Executive Chairman, Alterra Power Corp.
- Robert Quartermain, President, CEO and Director, Pretivm Resources Inc.
- Don Lindsay, President & Chief Executive Officer, Teck Resources Limited
- Patricia Mohr; Vice-President, Economics and Commodity Market Specialist; The Scotiabank Group, Toronto
- Geoff Plant, Partner, Heenan Blaikie
- Geoffrey Burns, President and CEO, Pan American Silver Corp.
- Wei Shao; Counsel, China Practice; Blake, Cassels and Graydon LLP (Vancouver office)
- Rick Van Nieuwenhuyse, President & CEO, NovaGold Resources Inc. / Don Lindsay, President & CEO, Teck Resources Limited (formerly Teck Cominco Limited) / Curtis Rattray, former Chairperson, Tahltan Central Council
- Rex McLennan, former Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, VANOC
- Honourable George Abbott, BC Minister of Aboriginal Relations and Reconciliation; and Gwaans (Beverley Clifton Percival), Member and Negotiator, Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs; and Chair, BC All Chiefs’ Task Force
- National Chief Phil Fontaine, Assembly of First Nations
- Honourable Randy Hawes, BC Minister of State for Mining; and the Honourable Pat Bell, BC Minister of Forests, Mines and Lands
- Hon. Gordon Hogg, former Minister of State for Mining
- Carole James, Leader of the Official Opposition, BC Legislative Assembly
- Hon. Gary Lunn, former Minister of Natural Resources Canada
- Hon. Carole Taylor, former BC Minister of Finance
View Photos of Past Speaker Series Events in Our Photo Gallery
View Videos of Past Speaker Series Events in Our Video Gallery