AME BC Speaker Series
The AME BC Speaker Series is a networking lunch event held three times a year that provides invaluable opportunities for members to connect with industry leaders to gain first-hand accounts of current and upcoming issues in the mineral exploration and development sector. Non-members are welcome to attend.
The first installment of the 2013/2014 Speaker Series will take place in October 2013.
For event information and registration please contact Fiona Matalon, Events Coordinator at email@example.com.
AME BC would sincerely like to thank our sponsors of the 2013/2014 Series:
To become a sponsor at the 2013/2014 Speaker Series Events please contact Simone Hill, Acting Director Special Events and Membership at 604.630.3921 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013/2014 Speaker Series
Friday, October 4 - Honourable Bill Bennett, Minister of Energy and Mines.
Our first installment of the 2013/2014 Speaker Series was held on Friday, October 4, 2013 at the Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver and featured Honourable Bill Bennett. He provided the audience with an update on current
issues in the mineral exploration and development industry including
taxation, permitting and environmental assessment, Aboriginal
engagement, and public geoscience. The talk was titled: BC Government’s Mineral Exploration & Mining Strategy - Where We’re At Now and Where We’re Heading.
Click here to read Hon. Bill Bennett's Biography.
There were several questions asked during the Q&A portion of the event and due to time constraints AME BC was not able to ask them all. AME BC submitted the unanswered questions to Minister Bennett and his office.
Click here to read the answers they provided.
Click here to view the photos from the event.
Past Speakers Include:
- Ned Goodman, President and CEO, Dundee Corporation. Bio.
- Diane Francis (National Post) Bio and Photo Gallery.
- Chief Clarence Louie (Osoyoos Indian Band) Bio and Photo Gallery.
- Dr. Don Wright President, BCIT and Paul Henning of Rio Tinto
- Vivian Krause (Vancouver-based writer and researcher)
- Ross Beaty, Executive Chairman, Alterra Power Corp.
- Robert Quartermain, President, CEO and Director, Pretivm Resources Inc.
- Don Lindsay, President & Chief Executive Officer, Teck Resources Limited
- Patricia Mohr; Vice-President, Economics and Commodity Market Specialist; The Scotiabank Group, Toronto
- Geoff Plant, Partner, Heenan Blaikie
- Geoffrey Burns, President and CEO, Pan American Silver Corp.
- Wei Shao; Counsel, China Practice; Blake, Cassels and Graydon LLP (Vancouver office)
- Rick Van Nieuwenhuyse, President & CEO, NovaGold Resources Inc. / Don Lindsay, President & CEO, Teck Resources Limited (formerly Teck Cominco Limited) / Curtis Rattray, former Chairperson, Tahltan Central Council
- Rex McLennan, former Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, VANOC
- Honourable George Abbott, BC Minister of Aboriginal Relations and Reconciliation; and Gwaans (Beverley Clifton Percival), Member and Negotiator, Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs; and Chair, BC All Chiefs’ Task Force
- National Chief Phil Fontaine, Assembly of First Nations
- Honourable Randy Hawes, BC Minister of State for Mining; and the Honourable Pat Bell, BC Minister of Forests, Mines and Lands
- Hon. Gordon Hogg, Minister of State for Mining
- Carole James, Leader of the Official Opposition, BC Legislative Assembly
- Hon. Gary Lunn, Minister of Natural Resources Canada
- Hon. Carole Taylor, BC Minister of Finance