Volunteer and Events Coordinator
AME is currently seeking a Volunteer and Events Coordinator for a short-term contract in its Vancouver-based office. This staff position will report directly to AME’s Director, Events and Membership to organize and execute the Volunteer program and assist with event programs that serve to generate revenue for the association and provide services to benefit AME’s membership. This position has the potential to be extended or expanded and will be a tremendous opportunity for the right person.
Posting Date: August 29, 2018
Application Deadline: September 17, 2018 (5:00 PM)
Start Date: Flexible, but no later than October 1, 2018
Location: Downtown Vancouver, Office environment
Reporting to: Director, Events and Membership
Hours: 40 hours/week, some overtime may apply
Salary Range: Hourly rate, commensurate with experience
Benefits: Overtime & vacation pay
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage and execute the Volunteer program including recruitment, training and supervision of volunteers in relation to the Mineral Exploration Roundup 2019 Conference;
- As part of the Events and Membership team, lead and execute individual programs within the Roundup Conference;
- Work with the team to contribute ideas and assist execution on member services programs;
- Maintain event budgets, post-event reconciliation reports and event summary reports;
- Keep organized and detailed records and files;
- Be accountable to the staff team and program deliverables; and
- Draft a variety of correspondence and marketing materials including invitations, programs, thank-you letters, social media and webpage content.
- Organize member lists for events and mailings;
- Assist in ensuring integrity of AME membership data;
- Support other Committees and special projects as assigned;
- Research and select vendors through ‘RFP’ process;
- Provide relief office duties for general office staff, as needed; and
- From time to time, this position may be expected to complete tasks not included in this job description.
Education / work experience
- Post-Secondary education in events or marketing related field;
- 1+ year(s) of event planning experience;
- Intermediate or higher knowledge of Excel;
- Experience working with a membership‐based organization is an asset; and
- Experience working in the mineral exploration industry is an asset, but not required.
Position related skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills; additional language skills considered an asset;
- Proven relationship‐building skills;
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet targets;
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a team setting;
- Self-starter with the ability to multitask, and work independently with little supervision;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge using office systems with specific knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint); experience with desktop publishing software (InDesign) would be an asset;
- Demonstrated experience in website maintenance would be an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to follow and adapt to emerging technological processes;
- Ability to measure, track, analyze and report information effectively both orally and in writing;
- Skills to manage confidential issues and correspondence in a professional and discreet manner;
- Proven ability to communicate and work with the public in a courteous and professional manner; and
- Proven ability to relate to variety of individuals in both formal and informal capacities (e.g. experience with working with groups as varied as industry executives, prospectors, indigenous groups and community representatives).
- Superior interpersonal skills;
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Able to function within a small close team environment;
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekends, and overtime as required; and
- Able to work independently.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to AME’s Director, Events and Membership at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM on or before September 17, 2018.