A Message from AME President & CEO | Kendra Johnston
As the situation related to COVID-19 continues to rapidly change, AME will be taking the following precautions to reduce the risk of transmission to our staff, volunteers and members.
- Our office is now closed to the public. A phone number has been posted in the elevator for people to call if they require access.
- All staff have been encouraged to work from home.
- If staff come to the office, they are asked to wash their hands upon entering the office.
- All meetings will be conducted via tele- or video conference rather than in-person.
- All travel has been suspended.
In addition, in order to limit transmission of COVID-19, all AME events and workshops through to May 15, 2020 have been cancelled or postponed until further notice. This includes AME’s second annual MinEx Talks event which will now be held on October 7, 2020.
We acknowledge the immense amount of work that has been done by our volunteers on events this spring and thank them for their efforts. We share your disappointment that many planned events, workshops and conferences will not take place as planned.
Many difficult decisions are being made during this challenging time, but we stress the health and safety of our entire membership is our top priority. AME will continue to closely monitor the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation and provide updates as needed.
Recommendations for all AME Members:
If you are sick or have any symptoms of respiratory illness such as fever, cough or difficulty breathing, please stay at home and consult with your physician or public health authorities and follow their instructions. Limit contact with others and avoid interaction with individuals who are ill. Proper hygiene can help reduce the risk of infection or spreading infection to others.
Please use the following precautions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the washroom and when preparing food. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand. Dispose of any tissues you have used as soon as possible in a lined waste basket and wash your hands afterwards.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean high-touch surfaces frequently with regular household cleaners or diluted bleach (a 9/1 water-to-bleach ratio is recommended)
- Avoid physical contact and getting too close to others, including shaking hands and hugging.
- If you have questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected] or 1-604-689-5271.
For more information please visit the following Government resources:
Thank you and stay safe & healthy.
AME President and CEO